If the economic predictions for 2014 are to be believed procurement professionals will be busier next year than they have been for some time. With that in mind, and as a timely excuse to refresh buying best practice, Trade Extensions, VP Sales and Business Development, Joe Critchley has pulled together Ten Tips for managing a large tender.
- Use professional buyers
- Identify the best suppliers available and consider ones not used before
- Involve operational ‘stakeholders’ at all stages
- Publicise the process at all stages
- Leave enough time
- Specify the tender properly
- Select winners carefully
- Consider supplier protection
- Use optimisation
- Handling losing suppliers – don’t burn bridges
Only dedicated professional buyers will have the time, motivation and skills to complete a tender effectively.